The heavy equipment operator operates a variety of contractor equipment and trucks used in construction, maintenance and repair activities and performs a variety of semiskilled tasks in the maintenance street and storm drainage systems.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates trucks and equipment of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operates trucks and construction or power equipment, such as excavator w/ GPS, backhoe, dozer, skid-steer, forklift, man-lift, dump truck, snowplow, road grater, front-end loader, and hydraulic excavators. (Any of the equipment mentioned could be track or wheel operation)
- Operates jackhammers, mowers, brush chippers and other small equipment and tools to maintain street and utility systems.
- Reads and follows plans, material lists and guidelines and applies necessary timelines.
- Fulfills all regular and advanced installation/construction duties, including project layout, and completes required paperwork in a timely manner.
- Works with and assists the line crew in digging ditches and trenches, hoisting material, tools, equipment, and any related work with a backhoe, road grater or front-end loader.
- Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or repairs to the supervisor; cleans equipment.
- Assists in the installing and maintenance of traffic control devices.
- Plows snow and salts roads according to departmental policy.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Maintains / schedules equipment service and maintenance logs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Technical Capacity.
- Time Management.
- Customer/Client Focus.
This position has no supervision responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, and is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risks of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, taste and smell.
The employee must frequently lift or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift or move with assistance up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday; shift hours can range 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., 40 hours per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
No typical travel with a personal vehicle is expected for this position, but local travel to various worksites is required using company vehicles.
Required Education and Experience
- High School GED
- Two-year degree or certificate from an accredited two-year college, university or technical school for Construction or Excavation.
- 2-years of equivalent related experience in the construction / excavation industry.
- CDL, Class A preferred.
- Lead or supervisory experience, minimum 1 year.
- Related experience or training preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Excavation equipment GPS dirt work experience.
Abode Companies Inc. is an equal employment opportunity (EOE) employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national origin, military service or any other state protected class. Our equal employment opportunity philosophy applies to all aspects of employment including job benefits, social activities, hiring, recruiting, training, promotion, and compensation. All employment related decisions are made without regard to any legally protected status. Any employee who is found to have engaged in discrimination in violation of this policy will be subject to corrective action, up to and including discharge. Abode Construction Inc. also complies with its obligations to offer reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants and employees under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Title: Heavy Equipment Operator
Reports To: Director of Excavation
FLSA Status: RFT / Hourly / Non-Exempt
To apply, please email your resume and or application to Julie in Human Resources email@example.com